Often Windows 10 displays a mysterious error message when you try to delete a file. The message reads “could not find this item ” and it prevents you from removing the file. It’s pretty obvious that you’re trying to delete something on your machine that already exists, but the error says otherwise.
There are several reasons why the program does not find the file as it should and allows you to delete it. You will get rid of a file from your machine until you address these underlying problems.
Use Command Prompt To Fix “Could Not Find This Item”
If you’re having trouble using File Explorer to delete your file, one option is to use the Command Prompt. It has several commands to work with your file system and one of these lets you delete files from your Gaming Laptop.
You can use these commands to retrieve your directory contents and then get rid of your chosen file from the list.
- Search for Command Prompt and click on Run as an administrator to open it in admin mode.
- In your Command Prompt window, go to the directory where the file you want to delete is located. Use the CD command followed by the directory path to get to your directory.
- Once you’re in your selected directory, run the following command to view a list of all files in it.
rd /s “\\?\filepath”
In My Case
rd /s “\\?\C:\Users\Seed\Desktop\Lab\happy themes”
hit enter and type “Y” for yes
1. Right-click on the folder.
2. Select the “Add to archive” option (Make sure that you have WinRAR installed on your machine).
3. Tick ‘Delete files after archiving’ checkbox displayed under the ‘Archiving options’ section.
4. Leave all other settings as they are and click the ‘OK’ button.
5. .rar will be created on your machine, and your painful folder will be deleted automatically.
6. Now you may delete this *.rar file whenever needed